- Dr, Shewhart of Bell Labs develops control charts
- Japanese Telecommunication industry starts to use QC methods
- Deming helps Japan with Quality Control
- Dr. Juran visit to Japan
- QC Circles were born
- Deming was “discovered” in America
- TQM started in some industries
- Malcom Baldrige National Improvement Act of 1987
- ISO 9000 Quality System Standards (1987)
Quality Management (QM) includes “all activities of the overall management function that determine the quality policy, objectives and responsibilities, and implements them by means such as quality planning, quality assurance, quality control and quality improvement, within the quality system”.
The quality management process involves three main elements (PMI, 2000):
- Quality planning – Identifying which quality standards are relevant to the project and determining how to satisfy them.
- Quality assurance – Evaluating overall project performance on a regular basis to provide confidence that the project will satisfy the relevant quality standards.
- Quality control – Monitoring specific project results to determine if they comply with relevant quality standards and identifying ways to eliminate causes of unsatisfactory performance.